Welcome to the Waldo Canyon Fire website, an effort by the Coalition for the Upper South Platte to keep you updated on the status of the fire.
Though the fire itself is out, the rehabilitation process is just beginning. Here you will find important information about the fire and current action that is taking place to quickly and effectively respond to impacts felt by local communities.
Thank you for taking the time and care to learn more about the Waldo Canyon Fire’s status. With your continued support, we will rebuild and restore the lands we love, one step at a time.
The Coalition for the Upper South Platte
Now that the WARSSS report has been posted, we have the next document: The Plan.
Several of these documents are HUGE, so please be patient as they download. We would recommend not trying to access these documents on a phone with only a cellular connection.
The Waldo Canyon WARSSS (Watershed Assessment of River Stability and Sediment Supply) report has been released. This is a HUGE document and is broken down here into 5 parts. Appendix C and Appendix D are very large as well, and may take some time to open in your browser.
A group of partnering organizations working on rehab projects in the Waldo Canyon Fire burn scar are excited to introduce a portal for volunteers to view upcoming projects and register to join in. Just click the “Volunteer” menu link above or click here: waldofire.org/Volunteer/
The Waldo Canyon Fire burn scar will increase the risk of flash flooding for the next several years. Sign up for the U.S. Geological Survey Water Alert System to establish alerts based on data from precipitation gages and protect yourself and your family from flash floods.
1) The site is operated seasonally, between April and September, so enter a begin date and end date between April and September to view the graph
2) Click on “Subscribe to Water Alert” below the graph
3) Enter your email address
4) Click on hourly notifications (suggested)
5) Click on 1 hour (inches) (suggested)
6) Click on “Greater than” (suggested)
7) Place 0.5 in “Real-time value is greater than” (suggested)
8) Read and acknowledge the disclaimer & click submit
9) Reply to the confirmation email you receive